Sunday, August 9, 2009

Youth Prayer to Christ Jesus


Here is a poetic prayer which I just found on the first page of an traditional Italian devotional (La Guida, Milano 1949). It captures very well the generous Christian disposition which Pope Benedict in his most recent encyclical proposes for every man. Here is my translation. The picture is of the mountains of the land of my paternal ancestors.






Lord Jesus, make my conscience to be straight like the great fir tree which shoots itself toward the sky.




That my generosity be like the spring, which gives and never empties.




That my soul have the purity of the torrents which are born from the stainless snows.




That my will be like the granite without faults.




That, through all the trails of the alps, my youth have You alone for the companion of its continuous ascent.




That the Cross which stands along-side the road be for me like the meeting of a friend.




And forever so!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...