Friday, February 26, 2010

Mater Misericordiae


Tomorrow I have to give a retreat on "The Fruits of Divine Mercy" and one of the insights that I found in re-reading Faustina's Diary is the reason that our Lord gives her for promoting this devotion which to her seemed redundant (since the Church is already primarily focused on the Mercy of God in Christ, why is He entrusting her with the urgency to spread His message of mercy and it's accompanying devotions). His answer: yes, but the Feast of Divine Mercy is unknown and neglected in the teaching and in the preaching. This devotion provides a fresh illustration of the Mercy of God in Christ and a practical way to promote it today and to make it better known and better preached and better lived.

"But, Jesus,...I am very surprised that You bid me to talk about this Feast of Mercy, for they tell me that there is already such a feast and so why should I talk about it? And Jesus said to me. And who knows anything about this feast? No one! Even those who should be proclaiming My mercy and teaching people about it often do not know about it themselves. That is why I want the image to be solemnly blessed on the first Sunday after Easter, and I want it to be venerated publicly so that every soul may know about it. (Diary, 341)


She also has a beautiful hymn to our Lady which greatly impressed and moved me.

O Mary, Immaculate Virgin,
Pure crystal for my heart,
You are my strength, O secure anchor,
You are a shield and protection for a weak heart.

O Mary, you are pure and unparalleled,
Virgin and Mother at one and the same time;
You're beautiful as the sun, by nothing defiled.
Nothing is worthy of comparison to the image of Your soul.

Your beauty enthralled the Thrice-Holy One's eye.
That He came down from heaven, forsaking th'eternal See's throne,
And assumed from Your Heart Body and Blood,
Hiding for nine months in the Virgin's Heart.

O Mother, Virgin, this will no one comprehend,
That the infinite God is becoming a man;
It's only love's and His inscrutable mercy's purpose.
Through You, Mother--it's given us to live with Him for ever.

O Mary, Virgin Mother and Heaven's Gate,
Through You salvation came to us;
Every grace to us streams forth through Your hands,
And only faithful imitation of You will sanctify me.

O Mother, Virgin--most beautiful Lily.
Your Heart was for Jesus the first tabernacle on earth,
And that, because Your humility was the deepest,
Wherefore You were raised above Angel choirs and Saints.

O Mary, my sweet Mother,
To You I turn over my soul, my body and my poor heart.
Be the safeguard of my life,
Especially at death's hour, in the final fight.
(Diary, 161)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...