Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Ash Wednesday and Lenten Resolutions


Today is Ash Wednesday (Google Doodle take a hint!)

What are you doing for Lent?

The purpose of Lent is to share with Christ the mysteries of his life, passion and death, because we love Him and are dedicated to Him. That is our glory in which He glorifies us according to His unfailing promise.

Do something extra during this time--for preparation and penance; and also to pray for the conversion of the Jews and the Muslims and the Protestants (and the lukewarm Catholics) and all those who do not yet believe in Jesus Christ--that the Almighty and merciful Father might open their eyes to the merciful and divine truth of Christ our Savior who said "no one can come to the Father except through me." "Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father."  (Cf. Jn. 12:45) "The Father and I are one!"

Lenten Resolution Suggestions

Daily Mass and (worthy) Holy Communion

Plenary Indulgenced Works

  • Adoration of the Most Blessed Sacrament at least 1/2 hour.
  • Devout and prayerful reading of Sacred Scripture at least 1/2 hour.
  • Recitation of the Most Holy Rosary in a church or within family.
  • Devout exercise of the Way of the Cross
  • On any Friday of Lent, reciting after receiving holy communion the prayer before Jesus Crucified (a crucifix): 


Prayer Before a Crucifix

Look down upon me, good and gentle Jesus, while before Your face I humbly kneel, and with burning soul pray and beseech You to fix deep in my heart lively sentiments of faith, hope, and charity, true contrition for my sins, and a firm purpose of amendment; while I contemplate with great love and tender pity Your five wounds, pondering over them within me, and calling to mind the words which, long ago, David the prophet spoke in Your own person concerning You, my Jesus: "They have pierced My hands and My feet; they have numbered all My bones."


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...