Tuesday, February 3, 2015

The Religious Faith of Edgar Allan Poe


Edgar Allan Poe was a believer; confused, but a confirmed believer nevertheless. He gives a detailed description of his faith in his essay Eureka. He also wrote some poems invoking the protection of the Mother of God. What inspired him to write on The Blessed Virgin was when he was 24 he heard the Angelus bells being rung from a Jesuit Church and went in and was told about the angelic salutation and Our Lady's fiat.

[Catholic] Hymn (1835)
[This poem was originally part of the tale "Morella," but was removed from later versions. In the copy of The Raven and Other Poems (1845) he gave to Sarah H. Whitman, Poe struck out the word "Catholic." The poem is addressed to the Virgin Mary, the mother of Jesus.]

At morn–at noon–at twilight dim–
Maria! thou hast heard my hymn!
In joy and woe–in good and ill–
Mother of God, be with me still!
When the Hours flew brightly by,
And not a cloud obscured the sky,
My soul, lest it should truant be,
Thy grace did guide to thine and thee
Now, when storms of Fate o’ercast
Darkly my Present and my Past,
Let my future radiant shine
With sweet hopes of thee and thine. 


Hymn to Mary (1933)
[This version of the poem was part of the manuscript of the tale "Morella." The poem, recited as a song by Morella, is addressed to the Virgin Mary, the mother of Jesus.] 

Sancta Maria! turn thine eyes
Upon the sinner's sacrifice
Of fervent prayer and humble love,
From thy holy throne above.

At morn, at noon, at twilight dim
Maria! thou hast heard my hymn.
In joy and wo, in good and ill
Mother of God! be with us still.

When my hours flew gently by,
And no storms were in the sky,
My soul, lest it should truant be —
Thy love did guide to thine and thee.

Now, when clouds of Fate o'ercast
All my Present, and my Past,
Let my Future radiant shine
With sweet hopes of thee and thine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...