Wednesday, March 21, 2018

The Real Unedited Letter of Emeritus Benedict on Francis Books

Below are photos of the full two pages of the letter written by Pope Emeritus Benedict on a series of books on the theology of Pope Francis. Vatican Communications had misrepresented the letter which is decidedly critical of the series, particularly of a volume by a priest theologian, Father Peter Hünermann, who has been a leader of dissent against Catholic moral dogma as expressed in "Veritatis splendor."

Here is the Plinthos full English translation of the text.


Most Reverend Sir
Monsignor Dario Edoardo Vigano
Prefect of the Secretariat for Communication
00120 Vatican City

Most Reverend Monsignor,

I thank you for your courteous letter of January 12 and for the attached gift of the eleven small volumes edited by Roberto Repole.

I applaud this initiative which is intended to oppose and respond to the foolish prejudice according to which Pope Francis would be only a practical man devoid of particular theological or philosophical formation, while I would be solely a theoretician of theology who could understand little of the concrete life of a Christian today.

The small volumes rightly show that Pope Francis is a man of profound philosophical and theological formation, and they therefore help to see the interior continuity between the two pontificates, albeit with all the differences of style and temperament.

Nonetheless, I do not feel that I can write a brief and dense theological page about them because for my whole life it has always been clear that I would write and express myself only on books that I had also truly read. Unfortunately, even if only for physical reasons, I am not able to read the eleven little volumes in the near future, all the more so in that I am under other obligations to which I have already agreed.

Only by way of gloss I would like to note my surprise at the fact that among the authors is also Professor Hünermann, who during my pontificate had been exposed for spearheading anti-papal initiatives. He played a major part in the release of the "Kölner Erklärung (The Cologne Clarification)," which, in relation to the encyclical "Veritatis splendor," virulently attacked the magisterial authority of the Pope, especially on questions of Moral Theology. Also the "Europaische Theologengesellschaft (The European Society of Theologians)" which he founded was initially designed by him as an organization in opposition to the papal Magisterium. Later, the ecclesial sentiment of many theologians prevented this orientation, making that organization a normal instrument of encounter among theologians.

I am sure that you will understand me for my denial and I greet you cordially,

Yours,

(Signed) Benedict XVI



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...