Thursday, June 28, 2012

Hitch-hiking the Holy Land

Tiberias

This was my first impression of the Sea of Galilee, having been picked up by two young Israeli professionals who were articulate and modest on the Middle East political situation.  The Jews are the hitch-hikers in the Holy Land and so I experienced it as an excellent way to mingle with them, not to mention the fact that my trip was largely on Saturday so that getting public transportation was impossible.  I got from Cana to Capernaum and back to Nazareth without a hitch! and some great, though brief, and much needed, open air road time on the Sea of all Seas!  It was hot.  I sweated.  And it was wonderful.  Capernaum is very much alive with the sea, the monuments new and old, and the activity of the Lord, again, very active here even today.  The place is quiet and pristine.  A great place for a retreat: e.g. Tabgha, the site of the miraculous catch, at the foot of the hill of the beatitudes and just a couple of miles down the coast from Capernaum.

All this was last weekend, my last full weekend in the Holy Land.  The previous weekend I went to Bethlehem.  Nazareth and Bethlehem made me think of Pope Benedict's upcoming third volume of Jesus of Nazareth (on the Infancy and Hidden Life) which should come out any day now.  I can't wait!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...