Sunday, July 26, 2009

Guadalupe's Most Worthy Altar


Two Tuesdays ago I landed in Mexico city and went straight to the Antigua Basilica de Guadalupe (the original Basilica) to find a worthy altar at Tepeyac to offer the Holy Sacrifice usus antiquor (with my own pocket Missal of course). To my great surprise and delight the sacristan was happy to set me up immediately to offer the Mass and he even provided his only roman vestment for it (which had been used by San Rafael Guizar y Valencia of Veracruz). Since the vestment was red I offered a votive Mass of Blessed Miguel Pro.
The Mass was on the precious altar of the Capilla del Sagrario, which you can barely see in the picture (it was the best picture I could find on the Internet, if any of my friends can find a better one please send it for me to post: the choir, the grill, the silver altar rail, the gilded altar and silver tabernacle were all magnificent).

The whole basilica is undergoing a complete restoration (apparently to it's original traditional glory) of which this side chapel is a splendid example.

Luis Alberto Rosales Herrera is the most accommodating sacristan. He can be reached (in Spanish only) at alberto_rosher@yahoo.com.mx or alberto_rosher@hotmail.com.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...