Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Summa Sermon Notes 5

Here are the Summa references for the EF for Septuagesima, Sexagesima and Quinquagesima Sundays.

Septuagesima Sunday
EPISTLE (I Cor. 9:24-27, 10:1-5)
"Know you not that they that run in the race"
   Hope II-II Q.17
   Man requires works to attain happiness I-II Q.5, a.7
   Is a good act meritorious? I-II Q.5, a.7
   Whether eternal beatitude is the object of our hope II-II Q.17, a.2
   Is hope something certain? II-II Q.18, a. 4
"So run that you may obtain"
   Whether God can be comprehended by us I Q.12, a.7; I-II Q.4, a.3, ad.1
"But we an incorruptible one"
   Does human happiness consist in created good? I-II Q.1, a.8
   Does happiness consist in riches? I-II Q.2
   Is happiness something outside of creation? I-II Q.3
   Does it consist in the vision of the divine essence? I-II Q.3, a.8
   How happiness is of itself fixed and constant I-II Q.3, a.3, ad.3
   Can it be lost? I-II Q.5, a.4
"I chastise my body"
   Fasting II-II Q.147
   Why fasting should be practiced II-II Q.147, a.1; a.3
   Is fasting of precept II-II Q.147, a.3
"Our fathers were all under a cloud"
   What sign and figure was the protection in the Red Sea? III Q.70, a.1, ad.3
GOSPEL (Matthew 20:1-16)
"And having ageed with the laborers"
   Does God make Himself a debtor to us? I-II Q.114, a.3, ad.3
"Into His vineyard"
   Happiness I Q.21, a.1, ad.3; I-II Q.2, a.3; a.4
   On the merit of good works I-II Q.114
"Thou hast made them equal to us:
   Does God's justice distribute gifts unequally? I Q.23, a.5, ad.3
"They murmured against the master of the house"
   Do the saints in all things approve God's disposition of affairs and conform their will to His? I-II Q.39, a.2, ad.3
   Can the blessed sin? I Q.62, a.8
   Does beatitude (eternal happiness) completely satisfy man's appetite and desires? I-II Q.2, a.8
   Is anything desirable lacking to any of the blessed? I-II Q.5, a.2, ad.3
"They received every man a penny"
   by all receiving the same (a penny) would one not be happier than another? I-II Q.5, a.3, ad.1; I Q.12, a.6
"I do thee no wrong"
   Does injustice exist in God? I Q.21, a.1
   Do justice and mercy abide in all of God's works? I Q.21, a.4
"Or is it not lawful for me to do what I will?
   In granting graces what part does personal acceptance play? II-II Q.63, a.1, ad.3
"For many are called but few are chosen" I Q.23, a.4, ad.2
   What is election or choice? I Q.23, a.4
   Are only the predestined chosen? I Q.23, a.4
   Are all Christians to be saved? Suppl. Q.99, a.4

Sexagesima Sunday
EPISTLE (2 Cor. 11:19-33, 12:1-9)
"If a man be lifted up"
   In what does boasting consist? II-II Q.112, a.1
   Is boasting a mortal sin? II-II Q.112, a.2
   Is an empty love of glory sinful? II-II Q.132, a.1
"I dare also"
   Did St. Paul boast in this passage? II-II Q.112, a.1
   When may one desire his own glorification? II-II Q.132, a.1, ad.1-3
   When may insults not be borne by us? II-II Q.72, a.3, ad.1
"In prisons more frequently"
   When incarcerating is licit? II-II Q.65, a.3
"Thrice was I beaten with rods"
   On the sufferings of the just (3rd Sunday after Epiphany)
   Is punishment always because of fault? I-II Q.87, a.7
"Knoweth that I lie not"
   When should an oath be taken? II-II Q.89
"And so escaped his hands"
   May a man condemned to death defend himself? II-II Q.59
   Was St. Paul in rapture out of his senses? II-II Q.175, a.4
   Was St. Paul's soul completely separated from his body in rapture? II-II Q.175, a.5
"Whether in the body or out of the body"
   Rapture II-II Q.175
   Did St. Paul know whether or not his soul was separated from his body? II-II Q.175, a.6
"Even to the third heaven"
   What is here understood by "third heaven?" I Q.68, a.4
"And heard secret words"
   Did St. Paul in his rapture see the divine essence? II-II Q.175, a.3
"For which thing thrice I besought the Lord"
   Why St. Paul was not heard in his prayer II-II Q.83, a.15, ad.2
"My grace is sufficient for thee"
   Grace and its effect I-II Q.114
"For power is made perfect in infirmity"
   How virtue is perfected in weakness I-II Q.55, a.3; II-II Q.123, a.1, ad.1
GOSPEL (Luke 8:4-15)
"The sower went out to sow his seed"
   Honor of preaching the word of God II-II Q.188, a.4; a.2, ad.3; III Q.40, a.1, ad.2
   How the word of God should be preached II-II Q.177, a.1
"Yielded fruit a hundredfold"
   What is implied by a hundredfold? I-II Q.70, a.3, ad.2
"He that has ears to hear let him hear"
   Whether faith is a gift of God II-II Q.6, a.1
"To you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God"
"But to the rest in parables"
    Why should Christ have spoken often in parables to the multitude and explain their true meaning to the disciples? I Q.111, a.3, ad.4, III Q.42, 3
"That seeing they may not see"
   On mental and spiritual blindness II-II Q.15
"Then the devil cometh"
   On combating the devil and temptation I Q.114
   Do all sins come from temptation of the devil? I Q.114, a.3
"Choked with the cares and riches and pleasures of this life"
   Why riches are a hindrance to salvation II-II Q.188, a.7
"Keep it (word) and bring forth fruit in patience"
   Preaching I-II Q.106, a.4, ad.4
   The doctrine of Christ III Q.42

Quinquagesima Sunday
EPISTLE (I Cor. 13:1-13)
"If I speak with the tongues of men"
   The gift of tongues and grace from sermons II-II Q.176, Q.177
"And of angels"
   What is here understood by the phrase tongues of angels" I Q.107, a.1
   The speech of the angels I Q. 107
"And if I should have all faith"
   The two kinds of faith--living and lifeless II-II Q.6, a.2
   Is lifeless and living faith one habit of faith? II-II Q.4, a.4
"And if I should deliver my body to be burned"
   Whether acts of faith, patience and fortitude are without merit unless they proceed from charity I-II Q.114, a.4, ad.3
   Without charity is any true virtue possible? II-II Q.23, a.7
   Is charity the form of all other virtues? II-II Q.23
   Is charity the beginning of merit? I-II Q.114, a.4
"Charity is patient, is kind"
   Since charity extends to the works of all virtues, how is it a special virtue? II-II Q.23, a.4, ad.2
"Seeketh not her own"
   Out of charity ought we to love ourselves more than our neighbor? I-II Q.26, a.4, ad.3
"Charity never falleth away" II-II Q.26
   Whether charity once possessed can be lost II-II Q.24, a.11
   Whether charity remains after this life in heaven I-II Q.67, a.6
"Whether prophecies shall be made void"
   Why and how should prophecies be voided in heaven? II-II Q.173, a.1
"Or knowledge shall be destroyed"
   Do the intellectual virtues remain after this life? I Q.89, a.5, ad.1; I-II Q.67, a.2
   Do faith and hope remain in heaven? I-II Q.67, a.3; a.4
   Does any part of faith and hope remain in heaven? I-II Q.67, a.5
"But when that which is perfect is come"
   How on the coming of the perfect will the imperfect be done away with? I Q.59, a.7, ad.3; Q.62, a.7, ad.7; II-II Q.4, a.4, ad.1
"We see now through a glass in a dark manner"
   The three ways of knowing anything I Q.56, a.3
   Can anyone in this life see God's essence? I Q.12, a.11
   Can a created intellect see God by His essence I Q.12, a.1
"And now there remain faith, hope, charity"
   The three theological virtues, their order I-II Q.62, a.3; a.4
"But the greatest of these is charity"
   Is charity the greatest of the theological virtues? I-II Q.67, a.6
GOSPEL (Luke 18:31-43)
"And all things shall be accomplished," etc.
   How all the prophecies were fulfilled by the death of Christ I-II Q.103, a.3, ad.2; III Q.47, a.2, ad.1
   The effects of Christ's passion III Q.49
"He shall be delivered to the Gentiles"
   The reason for Christ's suffering at the hands of the Gentiles III Q.47, a.4
"He shall be mocked"
   Whether Christ underwent all suffering III Q.46, a.5
   Whether the suffering of the passion exceeded all others III Q.46, a.6
"They will put Him to death"
   Whether Christ was put to death by someone other than himself III Q.47, a.1
"And the third day He shall rise again"
   Was it suitable for Christ to rise the third day? III Q.53, a.1; a.2
   Was Christ three days in the Tomb? III Q.51, a.4
"And they understood none of these things"
   Why did Christ teach many things at times obscurely III Q.42, a.3
"A certain blind man sat by the wayside"
   Whether Christ suitably performed miracles on men III Q.44, a.3
"Thy faith hath made thee whole"
   Why is the working of miracles attributable to faith?
"Glorifying God"
   Giving thanks II-II Q.106
   Whether man is bound to give thanks to His benefactors II-II Q.106, a.3
   Is the innocent more bound than the penitent to give thanks? II-II Q.106, a.2

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...