Monday, May 4, 2020

Summa Sermon Notes 12

Here are the Summa references for the EF, 4th and 5th Sundays after Easter

4th Sunday after Easter
EPISTLE (James 1:17-21)
"Every best gift"
   Is virtue in us by nature? I-II Q.63, a.1
   Besides the theological virtues are there others infused in us by God? I-II Q.63, a.3
   Can man without grace know truth? I-II Q.109, a.1
"With whom there is not change"
   Is God entirely immutable? I Q.9, a.1
"For of His own will hath He begotten us"
   Is foreknowledge of merit a cause of predestination? I Q.23, a.5
   Does God choose one because of the good preexisting in Him? I Q.23, a.4, ad.2
"But slow to speak"
   What is curiosity about sensitive (worldly) knowledge? II-II Q.167, a.2
   When is diligent inquiry about things praiseworthy or otherwise? II-II Q.167, a.2, ad.3
"For the anger of man worketh not the justice of God"
   How could that happen since in Christ and in the saints there is no anger? III Q.15, a.9, ad.1
   When is anger sinful, when not? II-II Q.158, a.1
   Anger II-II Q.158
"With meekness receive the grafted word"
   What is meekness? Is it clemency? II-II Q.175, a.1
   Meekness and clemency II-II Q.175
GOSPEL (John 16:5-14)
"To Him that sent Me"
   The mission of the divine Persons I Q.43
   How did the Father send the Son? I Q.43, a.1
   Which divine Person is sent by the other? I Q.43, a.8
   Is it proper for the Son to be sent invisibly? I Q.43, a.5
   To  whom is an invisible mission made? I Q.43, a.6
"Sorrow hath filled your heart"
   Do sorrow and pain affect the mental faculties? I-II Q.37, a.1
"But I tell you the truth"
   Is it always praiseworthy to the tell the truth? II-II Q.109, a.1, ad.2, 3
   Truth I Q.16, a.2, ad.2; II-II Q.109
"If I go not"
   Is Christ's ascension the cause of our salvation? III Q.57, a.6
"And when he is come, He will convince the world of sin"
   Is judiciary power fittingly ascribed to Christ? III Q.59, a.1, ad.3
"He will teach you all truth"
   Since the apostles were ignorant of many things, how could He teach them all truth? I-II Q.106, a.4, ad.2; III Q.57, a.6
"Because He shall receive of Mine"
   Does the Holy Ghost proceed from the Son? I Q.36, a.2

5th Sunday after Easter
EPISTLE (James 1:22-27)
"Be ye doers of the word"
   Is theology a practical science? I Q.1, a.1; a.4
   Is faith alone sufficient for salvation? I-II Q.100, a.10; Q. 114, a.4, ad.3; II-II Q.9
"This man shall be blessed"
   Is the observance of the commandments enough for salvation? I-II Q.100, a.10
"Not bridling his tongue"
   Sins of the tongue: reviling II-II Q.72, backbiting Q.73, tale bearing Q.74, derision Q.75, cursing Q.76
"Religion clean...is this: To visit the fatherless"
   Does not religion ordain man to God alone? II-II Q. 81, a.1, ad.1
   Works of mercy and almsdeeds II-II Q.32, a.2
GOSPEL (John 16:23-30)
"If you ask the Father anything"
   Prayer II-II Q.83
   The parts of prayer II-II Q.83, a.17
"He will give it to you"
   What if our prayers are not heard? II-II Q.83, a.15, ad.1
   Conditions of prayer II-II Q.83, a.15, ad.2
"That your joy may be full"
   How can our joy be full, not in this life but only in the next? II-II Q.28, a.3
"These things I have spoken to you in proverbs"
   Why did not Christ clearly explain His doctrine? III Q.42, a.3, ad.3
"I will ask the Father for you"
   How is the Son said to pray to the Father? II-II Q.83, a.10, ad.1; III Q.21, a.1; a.2
"The Father Himself loveth you"
   Is there love in God? I Q.20, a.1
   does God love all equally? I Q.20, a.3
"I came out from God"
   How did the Son come out from the Father? I Q.43, a.5, ad.2
"Thou knowest all things"
   Did the mind of Christ know all thing in the Word? III Q.10, a.2
"And though needest not"
   Did Christ learn anything from men? III Q.12, a.3
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...